Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Thomas Donlon

January 5, 2021 at 1:56 am

I didn’t actually think of that angle. Yes they were strangers in the land during the wanderings of the Patriarchs. Isaac could barely get a well built without others claiming the water was theirs. Jacob feared destruction, after what happened at the city of Shechem. Which as I look at the account seems interesting that the “honored” man who raped and wanted Dinah ended up being the same name given the city. In any case Jacob had bought some land there but then it appears couldn’t live in it because Levi and Simeon had made them obnoxious or disliked after the two brothers killed all the males in Shechem and then the rest of the brothers plundered the rest of the city taking everything in it. But back to your request. This book has a copyrite of 2013. and “First Howard Books trade paperback edition March 2016” I probably should have mentioned that the book Discovering the City of Sodom has 2 authors. Dr. Steven Collins and Dr. Latayne C. Scott. Dr. Scott has authored “more than a dozen books” and probably took part in authoring the book to help get it into shape. Ok, the quote spans pages 245-246. Appendix A The Generations of Jacob and the Four Hundred Years of Genesis 15 spans pages 245-250.

As for your observation about all this being encouraging. That requires some thinking on my part. I can note I suppose that God intervenes when he has a purpose even when people mess up a bit (sometimes anyways). He gave dreams to several people to protect the patriarchs. Abraham’s wife Sarah was returned after the leader who took her was warned in a dream. Jacob fled from Laban and God warned Laban in a dream to say nothing to Jacob good or bad. After the Shechem fiasco God put fear on all the people of the area so they would not attack Jacob and his family. And he crushed Egypt when it was time to deliver the Israelites from Egyptian slavery.