Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Douglas Petrovich

January 3, 2021 at 11:51 pm

I’m afraid I have reached an end with your unfounded accusations and salty sarcasm, Deb. I have seen profs report such PhD students to their advisors after being subjected to less disrespectful treatment. And it usually does not go well for the PhD student. Besides, I need to focus my limited time here on those who are teachable, and I do not see much hint of that in you. BTW, I have no idea why you keep badgering me on the meaning of “crux” when it is well understood by the rest of us that it’s basic meaning is exactly as I have used it: “the most important or serious part of a matter, problem, or argument” (citing the Cambridge online dictionary, since my hardback dictionary is at the office). So yes, the peer reviewers knew exactly what they were doing, just as I (as one who was taught hermeneutics well and who teaches it annually) know exactly what I am saying when I tell you that the concept of a crux passage is a valid one. Not every topic has a crux passage, but that reality does not invalidate the concept. I will end by saying the thing I think you should hear more than anything else from me on this thread: Whoever taught you hermeneutics, if you studied it formally, has done you a disservice. If I were you, I would start over under someone with better skills.