Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums The route of the Exodus through the Red Sea The detour to a dead end – the different options Reply To: The detour to a dead end – the different options

• Michael Nielsen

January 3, 2021 at 4:16 pm

There is something truly interesting about this ´turn´ that the Israelites all of a sudden made, because it put them in a very vulnerable position. They had mountains on both sides of them, the Red Sea in front of them and now also Pharʹaoh’s army behind them.

However, I do agree. It was not God second guessing himself. This ´maneuver´ was all a part of Gods big plan. Not only would he free his people from Egypt, he had also promised to punish Pharʹaoh for what he had done. God had already warned Phar´aoh of what to expect. In Exodus 9:14-16 God says to Phar´raoh. “(14) For now I am directing all my blows to strike your heart, your servants, and your people, so that you may know that there is no one like me in all the earth. (15) For by now I could have thrust my hand out to strike you and your people with a devastating plague, and you would have been wiped out from the earth. (16) But for this very reason I have kept you in existence: to show you my power and to have my name declared in all the earth.”

This was God tricking Pharʹaoh into believing that the Israelites were “sitting ducks”. But why?

Exodus. 14:4 tells us exactly what God had planned and why. “I will allow Pharʹaoh’s heart to become obstinate, and he will chase after them, and I will glorify myself by means of Pharʹaoh and all his army; and the Egyptians will certainly know that I am Jehovah. So that is what they did.”

This was God´s moment to show his power because this ´maneuver´ led to Phar´aoh´s entire army being wiped out and this way God made sure that his holy name was glorified and made known among the surrounding nations.