Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Deborah Hurn

January 3, 2021 at 11:49 am

Doug, I have read your article but didn’t have time to write a ‘custom’ comment on it. I wrote letters on this topic to the editor of an obscure magazine back in 2001, but now when I look for them online the links seems to be broken (404). Lucky I saved the pdfs. I can’t see if we can upload files here, so here is the text of it. It is a much different approach… the pre-academic stage of my life… so it is just my own reasoning and maths, no refs.

By putting the first call to Abram in Ur back to when he was 55 yrs old with 20 yrs in Haran until his father Terah died, I can account for both the 400 and 430 yrs in all texts. Yes, I accept the LXX and SP variants with their “Canaan” and “Goshen”… this makes sense to me on many counts, not least the “four generations” (as per Gen 15:16) from Levi to Moses. I will try to paste the text of these letters below, not sure how the tables will come out.