Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Douglas Petrovich

January 3, 2021 at 7:57 am

Brad, here is another point. If it makes you (and/or anyone else, for that matter) feel too bogged down to dig deeply into the details of the text of the appropriate biblical passages in the original languages, as you can find in my article, let’s just talk about a few of the problems that a short sojourn has on a practical, grassroots, historical level.

Crack open my 1st book, on Hebrew as the language of the proto-consonantal script. No matter what the naysayers may nay-say, there is irrefutable evidence there that the first Hebrew inscription dates to 1840 BC (Sinai 377). Just so that we don’t leave poor old Sinai 377 standing outside in the winter’s cold alone, there are also more inscriptions from this early time in ancient history: Wadi el-Hol 1 (1834 BC), Wadi el-Hol 2 (1834 BC), the Lahun Bilingual Ostracon (1831 BC), and Sinai 376 (1772 BC).

If suave-video-guy is right about a sojourn in Egypt of 215 years, and we use the conventional date of 967 BC as the year of the beginning of construction of the Temple of He-who-is under Solomon’s rule, and we take the number 479+ years between that event and the exodus as literal and correct (and we should), that means Jacob and his family moved from Canaan to Egypt in 1661 BC. Hmmmmmmm. Notice the monumental problem? That means we have conclusive attestation to Hebrews in Egypt from 111-179 before the Hebrews actually arrived.

Next, as my 2nd book is going to demonstrate persuasively to anyone not already locked into another view for life, Joseph can be identified conclusively–as found in various Middle Egyptian inscriptions that are datable with confidence–as living and serving in Egypt during the 19th century BC. The same is true for Jacob, Ephraim, Manasseh, and Manasseh’s obscure son, Skekem (Josh 17:2). Notice the big problem here? The Israelites are in Egypt way too soon.

Finally, the Ezbet Rushdi Stele, the earliest record of Israelites in Egypt, demonstrates that Joseph, Jacob, and Jacob’s household are living at Avaris (biblical Raamses) in 1873 BC, which is fully datable using the high chronology view of Egyptian history, given that the stele dates itself to Year 5 of Sesostris III (whom my book conclusively proves to be the famine pharaoh). Notice the problem here? We have Israelites in Egypt exactly 212 years before the Israelites arrived (according to the erroneous short sojourn view). Yet if we use the proper numbering of 430 years for the sojourn in Egypt, Jacob would have moved to Egypt in 1876 BC, which is just 2-3 years earlier than the dating of the Ezbet Rushdi Stele. Bingo!

So, if you are a “just give me the practical stuff” kind of guy, there is your stuff. The short sojourn view is utterly unsustainable when thrown into the washing machine for the spin cycle. It needs to go away forever and ever. All the best in your journey of learning!