Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Douglas Petrovich

January 1, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Hello, Deb. Thanks for your question about the alleged problem of the “four generations.” If you found my article, you will know that I treat this at some length. I discuss how taking dor as a human “generation” in Gen 15:16 is not the only translational option. I will let the article take over from there, as far as a better way of translating the Hebrew term.

I will add that the singular CRUX PASSAGE for determining the length of the sojourn is Exod 12:40-41, the reasons for which I discuss in the article. Going to any other passage “to solve the question” simply represents nothing but flawed and misinformed application of sound hermeneutics. I’m not saying you are or are not guilty of this. I am simply stating the fact. I even use this passage/issue in the hermeneutics class I teach to show how to interpret the text and solve dilemmas in the proper way.

Hoping this helps,

Doug Petrovich