Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt How long was the sojourn in Egypt? Reply To: How long was the sojourn in Egypt?

• Douglas Petrovich

January 1, 2021 at 2:36 pm

In 2019, I published a peer-reviewed journal article in the NEASB by the title of Determining the Precise Length of the Israelite Sojourn in Egypt. This is the most thorough treatment of the topic yet published. In the article, I demonstrate why the attempts of James Hoffmeier (late exodus view) and David Rohl (radical historical/chronological reconstructionism view) to revive the 215-year-sojourn theory simply have no credible foundation whatsoever (though we certainly love them as people and appreciate the good they have done). The sojourn in Egypt lasted 430 years to the very day (Exod 12:40-41, with a correct resolution of the textual variant in 12:40). So while there is always room for healthy discussion, this dispute is one of those that can be deemed as resolvable with 100% certainty (though, of course, many dispute are less than 100% certain in their resolution). My 2019 article is downloadable for free from my academia.edu webpage.