Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Rethinking Apologetics for the Next Generation What First Led you to Faith in Christ? Reply To: What First Led you to Faith in Christ?

• Karen Getchel

June 22, 2022 at 9:58 am

My mom started going to Bible Study with my Aunt. We lived in CT and traveled to NY for Bible study on a Monday night. I was 11. There was about a dozen of us in a tiny house in Blauvelt. I was the only child–all were my mother’s age or older. What first drew me was the snacks afterward, because I had no idea what they were talking about. It was my choice to go–my brother and sister did not go.

I went to a few Bible camps after that and conventions that had some young people classes, and I sat in the regular convention as well.

I don’t know what drew me to the Lord, except it was the Lord. I was 16 when I began actually studying on my own. I was kind of an introverted child, my idea of fun at a convention was to help in the kitchen–because I didn’t really fit with my peers, (even at school).

I started going to Sunday meetings in NY with my aunt (my mother didn’t go at that time). I was 16 and she ditched me–she didn’t show up, so I drove myself. (getting there was easy, but coming back was harder because I was usually asleep in the car on the way home on Monday nights) It was after that when I started getting serious.

I consecrated my life to the Lord when I was 17. I have seen the Lord working in my live in many occasions. I am thankful that He rescued me and expanded my horizons on so many levels. I just have to say, Yes, when He asks me to do something. Even after all these years, I still have much to learn and overcome.

I have found that most people don’t grow up–they are the same as they were in high school–but the Christian has to grow up and mature and transform. We cannot be who we were last year or even yesterday. We can’t say, “that is my way”–because its not about our way.