Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums The Death of Jesus “Of the Lord” Reply To: “Of the Lord”

• Historical Faith Society

Administrator
    April 8, 2022 at 10:24 am

Hello Dennis ; hope you are doing well and that you’ve had a great week so far! With the utmost respect, we feel you may be misunderstanding Tim’s statement.

It is true that if God has empowered and is guiding something – be it a project, ministry, or calling – that His people, especially those that are genuinely following or seeking Him, will recognize this.

In John Chapter 10 Jesus was confronted in the temple by certain people who demanded he tell them if he was the Messiah.

His response in verses 25-27 was, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.”

We point this out simply to say that those committed to the Lord do hear His voice and follow where He leads – and God, in turn, knows them.

With this in mind, we feel it is reasonable to say that people will join a calling if it is truly of Him, which is something Tim has experienced in his own life and walk with the Lord.

The number of people who join that calling is not at all the focus – whether small or large. It’s the fact that His sheep recognize His voice. Sometimes this might only be one person.

Another thing we’d like to point out, again with the utmost love and respect, is that people and situations you referenced in Scripture are instances of rebellion against the Lord.

You wrote:

Joshua’s and Caleb’s enthusiasm for entering and taking over the Promised Land after spying it out with 10 other chosen respected men was out-weighed by the pessimism of those 10, and then by that of the rest of Israel’s millions. . . yet their enthusiasm was ‘of the Lord.”

This statement you made is not true. It’s clear in Numbers 13:1-2 what the will of the Lord was. “The LORD said to Moses, Send some men to explore the land of Canaan, which I am giving to the Israelites. From each ancestral tribe send one of its leaders.” The Lord was giving this land to the Israelites – and after all they had witnessed of His miracles of deliverance from Egypt, they didn’t believe God was able to fulfill his promise to give them the land.

We would agree that 10 of the 12 spies banded together in their report and that many were united with Korah during the rebellion he and his followers insighted against Moses. However, regardless of what these people believed they were doing, clearly they were not actually for the Lord or doing His will.

These were the murmurers and complainers in the wilderness, which is a stark contrast to those who are led by the Spirit and are the Joshuas and Calebs, trying to rally the people and stand firm on what God is doing.

We hope this clarifies Tim’s statement and our position on this matter. Again, whether small or large, there’s always a remnant that is motivated and acts upon God’s prompting.

Blessings to you and thank you so much for your comments!