Community Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Existence of the Israelites in Egypt Joseph’s Famine in archaeology Reply To: Joseph’s Famine in archaeology

• Thomas Donlon

January 13, 2022 at 6:24 am

Hi Michele,

This paper on the Academia website titled Millek, J.M. 2019. “Exchange, Destruction, and a Transitioning Society. Interregional Exchange in the Southern Levant from the Late Bronze Age to the Iron I.” RessourcenKulturen 9. Tübingen: Tübingen University Press.” by
    Jesse Millek covers the complexity of this time frame. It is a PDF document 368 pages long. Maybe you need to freely register to get the paper. I forget but I’ve registered as have a number of other people who frequent, contribute and manage or run the HFS website. But try and see if you can access it. If you download it you can search for the word famine. Or just scan the table of contents at the beginning and you can see sections on famine. I also found of interest and relevance that the late bronze age also showed a marked dip in the amount of gold and silver found from this time frame. That also corresponds with the text about people buying their food from Egypt. While we know the Egyptians had to transfer their wealth to Pharaoh to get food, other nations and people also had to go to Egypt to buy food.